STURGIS MOTORCYCLE RALLY TIME LINE
1936 – Clarence “Pappy” Hoel purchased an Indian Motorcycle Franchise in Sturgis, SD. The Jackpine Gypsies Motorcycle Club was formed.
1938 – The Rally Begins…The first Sturgis® Rally, known as the Black Hills Classic was held on August 14th with a race of 9 participants and a small audience.
1942 – Due to gas rationings in support of the war efforts the Rally did not take place.
1949 – For the 1st time, Sturgis Main Street is blocked off for a 2 hour awards ceremony.
1961 – The Jackpine Gypsies introduce the Hill Climb and Motocross races.
1964 – One block of Main Street is officially closed for motorcycle parking over the course of the 3 day event.
1965 – The Rally moves to a 5 day event.
1974 – The first temporary vendor set up in the Sturgis Auditorium.
1975 – The Rally evolves to its present 7 day event
1979 – The City of Sturgis begins licensing temporary vendors. 9 vendors licensed.
1983 – City Park is closed to camping due to fire outbreaks.
1986 – Local man, Tom Monahan, donates the artwork of the Official Rally Logo to the Sturgis Chamber of Commerce.
1988 – 117 vendors licensed in the City of Sturgis.
1989 – Sturgis Rally Founder, Pappy Hoel passes away at the age of 85.
2000 – The Sturgis Rally saw the largest attendance exceeding as high as 600,000 people.
2002 – The City of Sturgis formed a city department within the city government to take the place of all prior contract labor hired to promote and organize the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
2006 – The 66th Anniversary of the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally was celebrated!
2008 – 68th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally!
2010 – 70th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally with 466,769 in attendance!
Be sure to visit the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally website here.