It’s Back! 5 MORE Tips for Improving Business in Tourist Season

June 12th, 2019
Author: Veronica Grosek, Executive Director

Hello again, Sturgis!

As we all know from the increased traffic around town, tourist season is here! This is the time of year when the Visitors Bureau side of our operations can really shine, and part of that mission is helping our Member businesses increase revenue through tourist dollars. I’ll get straight to the point this week with a list of five additional tips (see my blog post from April 24th for Part 1) for improving business this tourist season, courtesy of the South Dakota Department of Tourism:

1. Make sure your information is available – and correct!

Make sure you claim and update your business listings on sites like Google MyBusiness, Apple Maps, Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc. This is now a primary source of info for our visitors! Click the buttons below for guides on claiming each listing:

Claim Your Google MyBusiness / Google Maps Listing
Claim Your Yelp Business Listing
Claim Your TripAdvisor Business Listing
Claim Your Apple Maps Business Listing

2. Encourage word-of-mouth referrals.

Word-of-mouth is a big deal in tourism. 55% of travelers’ destination choices are significantly influenced by it! Remember this as you are tending to each customer, and remind them to tell their friends about you after they leave.

3. Build loyalty through extra effort.

Making a tiny bit of extra effort in everything you do can be what sets you apart from the competition. That one extra smile, using a customer’s name, or providing a little extra information can create a brand ambassador for life!

4. Be mindful of the way you communicate.

Remember:  What you say is only 7% of the interaction! Keep in mind that the nonverbal communication and tone of voice make up the other 93% and are what really make a lasting impression.

5. Make the right visual impression.

Staff appearance can make or break an experience! Always maintain proper attire and hygiene, especially if you work in the tourism industry. Don’t miss out on a great review because of something as easy to fix as a wrinkly uniform.

That’s it! If you and your business implement the five tips above, you’re well on your way to a successful summer. As always, feel free to stop by the Sturgis Chamber anytime if you have questions or need assistance.