Author: Kiara Poitra, Receptionist & Events Coordinator
In the last blog I did, I mentioned cabin fever. But what exactly is cabin fever? Cabin fever is a mood dampening, energy draining, and motivation killing mood that hits mainly during the cold winter days. If you feel cooped up and restless, have difficulty concentrating, feel lethargic or unmotivated, or are on edge or irritated for no certain reason, you are most likely dealing with a case of cabin fever!
No need to worry though! I have done some research and have found some ideas to help you, and the ones around you conquer cabin fever!
-Start a good book. Click here to view one of the many sites that has a wonderful list of the best books to read during the winter season.
-Start a hobby. There are so many options for people of all interests. I personally do artwork, puzzles, and enjoy woodburning. However, there are infinite other ideas like knitting, Sudoku, writing, or whatever else may be your cup of tea!
-Try a new recipe. This one is a personal favorite! There is nothing better than finding a new dinner or treat recipe that becomes a favorite dish. Pinterest is where I find all of the best blogs about new things to try in the kitchen!
-Pull out a board game or a pack of cards. Board games like Monopoly, Battleship, Scrabble, and Sorry are the perfect way for your family to beat cabin fever together. You can never go wrong with a good old fashioned card game, either. When I was growing up, I really enjoyed playing Go Fish, Crazy Eights, Solitaire and Cribbage. So nostalgic!
– Participate in some pre-spring cleaning. I think a good way to get out of the cabin fever rut is to do some cleaning! The feeling of a clean living space/house can’t be beat!
-Rearrange your furniture. When I was growing up, my mom would rearrange the house at least 4 times a year. And now that I’m older, I understand why! It gives me a fresh feeling of renewal and comfort.
– Tackle a home improvement project. As long as it is an indoor project, you should go for it! Whether it’s installing beadboard, moving some things around, installing a new faucet, or even just simply painting a wall, it will help with the cabin fever!
– Plan your summer vacation. The warm daydreams will help motivate you to get through the cold and dreary days.
– Have a movie night! Invite friends over, or just your significant other and watch a classic or new film with some popcorn to go with your butter. Get cozy, and have some snacks for a fun night in!
– Go through the entertainment section of the newspaper. See what’s going on in the community and try something new!
– Do some fun outdoor winter activities. Read my last blog on some fun things to do outside during the winter, and that will cure the horrible cabin fever for sure! Click here to view my last blog!
The cold and snowy days will be over soon! Keep up with the activities you choose to do to get rid of the cabin fever, and keep up to date with the events happening here around Sturgis!
Receptionist & Event Coordinator
Sturgis Area Chamber & Visitors Bureau