Nine Tips for Improving Business in the 2021 Tourist Season

Hello again, Sturgis!

As we all know from the increased traffic around town, tourist season is here! This is the time of year when the Visitors Bureau side of our operations can really shine, and part of that mission is helping our member businesses increase revenue through tourist dollars.

I’ll get straight to the point this week with a list of NINE tips for improving business this tourist season:

  1. Shop Front Facelift – First and foremost, if you have a shop front in town this is the best time of year for a facelift to bring in foot traffic as the weather warms up! It doesn’t have to be a complete renovation – consider a few flower planters, some new eye-catching signage, or painting your store front a new color to remind people where you are!
  2. Local Referrals – Each time a tourist stops in your shop or gives you a call, try to point them in the direction of another great local business to visit while they’re here. Businesses will build strong relationships with each other and customers will be happier!
  3. Social Media – This is an ever-present way to market your business, and it can be easy to fall into a rut with the same weekly posts. Think outside the box and show some new, creative photos of your merchandise, start a contest, or simply feature your personal recommendations for things to do and places to go this summer to keep visitors interested! Searching online for new social media post ideas is a great way to start and break out of the same old routine.
  4. Print Advertising – Advertising has changed a lot over the past few years, but don’t forget about the power of print in newspapers, magazines, and other publications this summer! These ads often target a completely different demographic from social media, so it’s a great way to reach new customers. We have several Chamber Members that work in the advertising industry that offer special rates just for Sturgis businesses and other Chamber Members – contact us to learn more!
  5. Radio Advertising – Just like print ads, radio has the power of reaching completely new markets for your advertising. If you run a non-profit business, did you know you can often get matching ad dollars through radio stations? Contact us anytime to find out which stations support Sturgis businesses and will give you the best bang for your buck!
  6. Correct Information - Make sure you claim and update your business listings on sites like Google MyBusiness, Apple Maps, Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc. This is now a primary source of info for our visitors!
  7. Loyalty through Extra Effort - Making a tiny bit of extra effort in everything you do can be what sets you apart from the competition. That one extra smile, using a customer’s name, or providing a little extra information can create a brand ambassador for life!
  8. Communication - Remember:  What you say is only 7% of the interaction! Keep in mind that the nonverbal communication and tone of voice make up the other 93% and are what really make a lasting impression.
  9. Visual Impression - Staff appearance can make or break an experience! Always maintain proper attire and hygiene, especially if you work in the tourism industry. Don’t miss out on a great review because of something as easy to fix as a wrinkly uniform.

That’s it! If you and your business implement the tips above, you’re well on your way to a successful summer. As always, feel free to stop by the Sturgis Chamber anytime if you have questions or need assistance.


Veronica Grosek
Executive Director
Sturgis Area Chamber of Commerce